Saturday, August 29, 2009

Oulu

So, Oulu was pretty sweet :) I went shopping, and my feet hurt from the stone streets there. :P But it was really pretty. Unfortunately, it was raining all day, so between shops I had my scarf wrapped around my head to keep my hair from getting all funky. Aino and Mari (Aino's friend) said I looked like a terrorist. Haha.
I took plenty of pictures though :D


These are statues that are supposed to describe Oulu and its history. The beginning has like statues of trappers and fisherman, and it goes to artists and other types of people. Someone decided the little boy was cold I guess. :p

Seriously, all of the streets were like this. It was like it in Tampere too. I think it looks really cool, but its not fun to walk on after a while.

There was two main marketplaces open today, one inside and one outside. There was a ton of different stuff being sold.

Fish.

More fish. Aino said the salmon wraps (on the bottom left) were good. I don't believe her.

The top berries are lingonberries, Dad. Haha.

Aino said this is good too. They call them 'fish roosters'. I thought they meant roaster, because that would make more sense. But they all said it was rooster, as in a male chicken. I just know I'm probably not going to be trying one anytime soon.

Finns like to put stuffed reindeer in marketplaces and supermarkets.

The Lapland stall.

Here's one of the tents in the outdoor market. Most of them looked like this. It was basically all berries and other produce.

Aino didn't know why this statue was there, probably some sort of dedication to the police. I think it looks funny. :P

I couldn't get a closer picture of it, but there's a really old boat behind the front one. It looks like a pirate ship :) I thought it was cool.

And thats all!

1 comment:

  1. Pictures look great!! Keep 'em Coming! Love your viewpoint on the pictures! So excited when your mom said you have new posts...
    Glad u were able to prove your dad wrong on those berries! Have them take some of u too! We need to see how you are!- Joc :)

    ReplyDelete