Monday, September 21, 2009

Oulu Sleepover


So, spending the night in Oulu was a lot of fun. It only took an hour to get there by train, and I spent that happily knitting a thicker scarf for winter. It's already in the 40's regularly here.
Though we didn't really get to do a lot of sleeping. We stayed up until 5 am doing typical sleepover things, like movie watching (Finns think the majority of people in the States act like those in Dude, Where's My Car? I guess.), "Never have I Ever" (their "I Never"), and watching the VMA's and wondering why Kanye West has to be so stupid.
I forgot my camera at home though, so I didn't get a chance to take any pictures ): But here are some from the Kemi harbor to hold you over :)

Now I'm preparing myself mentally for the entire dead reindeer that's going to be delivered to our garage here this weekend or the next. Apparently they order them whole from the reindeer farmers, and butcher them themselves. I think I'm going to stay far away from that.

'Til next time :)

3 comments:

  1. No pictures from sleepover...bummer. But the harbor looks neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    I wonder if Santa eats reindeer, You know since they are his main form of transportation that would be weird. He would be like "Dude, wheres my reindeer?"
    You probably don't eat magic reindeer anyway though... right?
    OK, well anyway have fun with that!
    from,
    Other Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today my host mom asked me how big are steaks are in America. When I showed her with my hands she seems disturbed. I asked what was wrong and she said, "I thought Americans at steak this big-" She was pantomiming eating a steak about the size of a decent couch cushion! I tried to tell her that we eat pretty normal sized steaks and other deli goods, but apparently she had been under the impression that when we butcher a whole cow we get approximately two or three giant steaks from the whole thing!
    Hope your reindeer steaks are like couch cushions, all my best.
    How's the finnish coming along? Are you thinking in it yet?
    Sam

    ReplyDelete