Thursday, September 17, 2009

Salmiakki

There hasn't been much going on here that's out of the norm. Last weekend we went out to the summer cottage because my host dad chopped down a couple trees and needed help with splitting and cleaning up all the loose branches (guess my Dad's not the only one, haha). School has been pretty fun, and I watched a Finnish movie called Saippuaprinssi (The Prince of Soap) with Venla and Tiina. It was definitely the weirdest movie I've ever seen.

But, I thought I should introduce everyone to a Finnish obsession: Salmiakki. It's a salty licorice candy that they insist is better than chocolate. I think they're crazy. It is starting to grow on me though.


2595595340_3b76d0dcd6.jpg



They have small chewy salmiakki, salmiakki shaped like fish, long salmiakki ties, powdered salmiakki, liquid-filled salmiakki, etc. It's kind of ridiculous. And you can't really compare the taste until you've tried it yourself.

I'll be sure to send some home for Christmas :)


I'm going to Oulu this Saturday for a Rotex sleepover, so I'll be sure to update after.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren!
    It sounds like you are having a good time in Finland! I can't believe that you got to meet Santa! I miss you!
    From,
    Lauren xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - Hi goofball ... I'm enjoying your site ... be sure to find a sheep or two to hang with. Duke (menatlly challenged)and Edna (brilliant) are swell ... Helga, well that's another story we'll discuss later ... let's just say she's God's chicken now . Have fun - Mary Weaver

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,
    I 100% know how you feel about the foreign film! I watched this movie called "ALWAYS" in Japanese and I don't really think it had a plot...I have no idea, I was so confused and there were subtitles but over half the time they didn't make much sense.
    Hope your rotex sleepover is fun, keep up the bloggin'
    Sam

    ReplyDelete